Pet Bird Home Hazards – Keep your feathered friend safe

Interacting with a pet bird outside of its cage is one of the joys of living with a bird, but the home that is safe for us may not be safe for our feathered friends. The little everyday things that we take for granted can injure or kill a bird in the blink of an eye.

ceiling fans they are so common in homes these days that we hardly notice them. It’s easy to forget that they’re even turned on at times. If your bird can fly, it can fly into the fan. Spinning blades can easily spell quick death. When you interact with a bird outside of its cage, play it safe and turn off the ceiling fan!

Non-stick coated pans have made cleanup in the kitchen a breeze, but an overheated coated pan releases fumes that are toxic to your bird. Recent studies have shown that even a moderately heated pan can give off fumes, so regular cooking can be dangerous. When cooking, make sure your bird is safely in its cage to prevent accidents and when using nonstick pans, make sure the kitchen is well ventilated to prevent fumes from reaching your bird. Do you want to make your life and that of your birds even safer? Ditch the non-stick pans… steamers aren’t good for you either!

Pans, sinks, bathtubs and toilets full of water may be attractive to your birds, but it doesn’t take a lot of water for a bird to drain. Close the toilet lids when your birds are playing and if you both need a bath… take a shower together and don’t bathe.

Non-stick coating is not the only inhalant that can be dangerous to your bird. you must never use aerosol sprays in any area where your bird could inhale the vapors. If you must use sprays in rooms where birds reside, remove the bird from the area and ventilate it. Once the fumes have dissipated, then it is safe to return the bird to the area. Some bird owners have reported illness or death when their birds were exposed to scented candles, perfume, hairspray, and even scented lotions! Be aware of the scents you use in your home and see if your bird changes behavior when any of those items are in use.

We all know that birds use their beaks to explore and play. Like puppies and kittens, electrical cords may pose a hazard to chewing birds. Never leave a bird unattended in an area where it can chew on strings. Power still runs through electrical wires when the item in question is turned off, so don’t assume any plugged-in wire is safe.

Getting a bird’s-eye view of your home and taking precautions when your feathered friend is out with you is the best way to make home sweet home a safe home for birds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *